Total Pageviews

Monday 27 June 2011

A sad and lonesome day

Sometimes I look back and count up the things I've achieved in a day and the sum seems greater than the whole. Here's what I did today. Please bear in mind I slept in and had a hangover.

1. Wrote a poem that I quite like
2. Played baseball with friends and hit an out-of-the-park homerun.
3. Consolidated new living arrangement and met my landlord-to-be
4. Took a nap
5. Did some research and wrote about a page of the essay I'm working on.

Somehow I still feel guilty for wanting to drink beer and play video games after midnight. Ah, life. Here is the poem. Out of everything I did today, this is likely the only thing I will remember:

***

I could look at you all day
from every angle
and never want to leave.
There is a depth to your countenance
I still can’t pull myself out of.
There are only a few of you,
rare bird,
and you only stay a season:
happily fluttering
on a strong perch to hold.
It makes me so, so
sad to see you sing.


***

No comments:

Post a Comment